Aug 25, 2010

Vacuum forming

I have tried vacuum forming, and I have practiced now. Today, I report still in progress.

To start vacuum forming, must to prepare tool of vacuum forming. This tool sell at the shop of plastic model, but it's expensive. So, I make by my hand in economy. :D I got little wood box and crevice tool of vacuum-cleaner in 100 yen shop.  (this store is like an one dollar shop or 99 cent shop in USA) And I bought a punching sheet and sponge tape in other store. The cost of materials is under 1000 yen (about $10). :) 

Next, I assemble a vacuum forming tool.
1. Cut short crevice tool, make a hole in the box for crevice tool. insert a crevice tool in the box, and fix by glue.
2. Put a punching sheet on the box by glue, and moreover gummed tape. And put sponge tape. 
Box size is 11cm X 11cm. The inside diameter is 9cm X 9cm. But this inside area is a little wide to miniature. So, I made frame that made in paper and sponge tape to make little area.


Prepare two plywoods (11cm X 11cm), make hole 6cm X 6cm each, sandwich a sheet of plastic 7cm X 7cm (0.3mm thick) between plywoods, and fasten with a clip. This photo is plastic sheet after heat and vacuum. I have tried and practiced some various mold. I practiced in the mold of kouglof in this photo.
I guess that this hole is still a little wide. I will make new frame that inside area 5cm X 5cm. 

Well... I have made a lot of trash now. XO I understand:
simple form(circle or square plate etc.)could vacuum forming well.
detail and very little or thin line etc. could not or difficult. 

But I guess I could do it. I need more time to succeed....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous!! I want to do this too! Vaccuum forming has always amazed me... ever since I saw a thing on tv about how they make Halloween masks.

Unknown said...

!!!

that is amazing! you are so resourceful, i have been looking for this device for a while now (saw it in other japanese websites but did not know the name), now i don't need to get it, i can build it myself like you! XD XD XD

i kid, i don't think i can, it looks so complicated and i have no vacuum cleaner XD

tomohachi said...

blitherypoop
Especially, it's amazedness that plastic sheet melt, and it become like a melted cheese, and change the form when put on a mold and vacuum. It's interesting to do. :D

Cindy
Recently, some Japanese miniature creators have done vacuum forming or simple heat press. So, I decided to ride on the boom too. :D I learned this technique and knowledge in some site of plastic model and miniature creator. I thank them they have opened generously the knowledge in their site. :-)

Carol Mittlesteadt-Kubrican said...

What a great idea! I did some vacuum forming in college with a large machine. I never thought it would be possible to make your own for miniature! Please keep sharing your progress on your homemade tool. It's amazing!

Pinky Craft said...

i love ur works so much but i am not so understand how this vacuum forming works.. can someone explain to me.. hmm.. =(

Plasbox said...

Plasbox can supply you with most of your packaging needs because Plasbox can supply cardboard packaging, plastic packaging, Vacuum forming, shelf ready trays, slitting of rolls of plastic, sheeting of plastic, vacuum forming products manufacturer and thermo formed packaging for many different needs.